Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Molding & Carpentry>How to seam together 140 year old pine floors with new pine flooring???
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
G2meow
How to seam together 140 year old pine floors with new pine flooring???
G2meow

Hi everyone,

We need your help. We bought this great 140 year old house, took down some walls and spent weeks pulling up linoleum then multiple layers of black goop. We're now left with lovely sanded down old pine floors. We ordered some more flooring from an old timer who said our floors were eastern pine.....the issue is the new pine is obviously not the same color as pine that's been sitting out for 140years!
When seeming together the old and new boards over 300 sq ft how do we get them to be the same color or tones? Do I add tea for tannins to the new boards to get them more yellow? Do we water pop only the new? Should we shellac and close them off then add a bit of light stains? Has anyone encountered this? We are super confused.....

Jack
Re: How to seam together 140 year old pine floors with new pine flooring???
Jack

Stains and dyes are what should be used to match color. It will take some experimenting. I would start with some Antique Maple stain. You'll want some scraps to play with.

Jack

Mastercarpentry
Re: How to seam together 140 year old pine floors with new pine flooring???
Mastercarpentry

Where possible I prefer to 'break' old from new at doorways, keeping each room either completely old or new. One of my tricks is to 'steal' old flooring from closets but for 300 Sq.Ft. that probably won't work here. So I'd suggest thinking it through and going with all new, saving the old to do other areas later on. If you do go for a stain or dye match, do a sample all the way to a complete finish while comparing to an old piece with a complete finish as sometimes the finish will alter the way a color appears. You sure don't want to discover too late that the color match you thought you had shifted when the finish went on!

Phil

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.