Home>Discussions>DOORS & WINDOWS>How to replace plastic window inserts
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
How to replace plastic window inserts

I have these plastic window inserts along all 4 sides of my windows in my house. They have all cracked off and look terrible. I can't find them to replace them and don't know how to get them out. I am not even sure that they are for...it seems like they are there instead of caulking. Our windows are terribly drafty, they even freeze on the inside. I need to replace these things, can you help? Thanks!

A. Spruce
Re: How to replace plastic window inserts

Is this the trim strip on the exterior that covers the edge of the glass and blends it into the frame? If so, then trying to identify the window manufacturer would help in finding replacement material. You could also take a sample of your existing trim into a glass shop and see if they could help you locate new material.

Re: How to replace plastic window inserts

Thanks for the reply, the inserts are on the inside of the window.....sealing the glass to the frame, like caulking. The place that did these windows is no longer in business, though I guess I could call the builder and maybe they could help.

Re: How to replace plastic window inserts

Try calling Stry-Buc industries (PHONE: 800/352/0800)they have parts from all types of windows. They buy parts from companies that have gone out of business. They will be able to help, especially if you know the manufacturer's name.

Calcats ;)

Re: How to replace plastic window inserts

While I think replacing this piece even if it's just by caulking is a good idea, I would suggest you also caulk outside the windows. Especially around the glass and casement.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.