Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>how to feed another switch from a switch question
11 posts / 0 new
Last post
gwilkrrs
how to feed another switch from a switch question

I have 3 switch box. 1 switch is a 3way, 1 switch is a 4way, 1 switch is a single pole. I need to take a feed from either the 4 way or 3 way to feed the single pole and another single pole in the box next to it. what wire and from wich switch to use for the feed?

JLMCDANIEL
Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question

Not knowing what wires you have it is impossible to answer your question other than to say none of the wires on a 4-way are a constant hot.

Jack

gwilkrrs
Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question

gotcha- are any wires on the 3 way constant hot?
this is a middle run box...
feed comes into first box has this 3 way and a 4 way, then this box has the 3way a 4 way and a single then this 3way goes to the light......

Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question
gwilkrrs wrote:

gotcha- are any wires on the 3 way constant hot?
this is a middle run box...
feed comes into first box has this 3 way and a 4 way, then this box has the 3way a 4 way and a single then this 3way goes to the light......

The only place you can obtain power for another circuit is from the common (sometimes a black screw) on the 3 way in the first box. And, the neutral from the same cable as the hot.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question

You will need to test the common screw on the 3-ways with a meter or test light. One will have a constant regardless of the switch position, the other will be hot only when the light is turned on. You will still need a neutral to what ever the new switch is feeding.

Jack

gwilkrrs
Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question

THANKS! I will try this

gwilkrrs
Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question

ok- so here it is........................
got it on above box feed here is the next delema. so the final box with the 4 way switch I am trying to get a feed out of for an outside light...... so I grabbed the wire and hooked it up and it works.... when the 3 way switch in the box prior is on the ext light doesn't work- 3 way off ext light is on?

question- can I feed a light from a 4way? the 4 way circuit is this..... feed to switch1, switch 1 to switch2, switch2 to switch3, switch3 to light. I want to pull a feed off switch3

JLMCDANIEL
Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question

No. A 4-way switch only has travelers attached to it. See if this helps

The only place in this picture that you can pick up a Hot and a Neutral is at SW1
Jack

Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question
gwilkrrs wrote:

ok- so here it is........................
got it on above box feed here is the next delema. so the final box with the 4 way switch I am trying to get a feed out of for an outside light...... so I grabbed the wire and hooked it up and it works.... when the 3 way switch in the box prior is on the ext light doesn't work- 3 way off ext light is on?

question- can I feed a light from a 4way? the 4 way circuit is this..... feed to switch1, switch 1 to switch2, switch2 to switch3, switch3 to light. I want to pull a feed off switch3

The final switch must be a 3W if it feeds the light.

And, any single screw, on it, will have power only when all the other switches are switched a certain way, as you've already discovered. Sorry.

gwilkrrs
Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question

looks like I will pull a feed up from the receptacle below the switch for the outside light.....................

Re: how to feed another switch from a switch question
gwilkrrs wrote:

looks like I will pull a feed up from the receptacle below the switch for the outside light.....................

That should be fairly easy, if it's in the same wall cavity.

Rather than fight with the existing switch box knock-outs, I suggest replacing it with an "old work" box, after you fish the wire.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.