My wife and I just bought a 1941 brick cape in Connecticut.
The 2nd floor (attic) is unfinished and the vermiculite insulation that was between floor joists has been removed so it currently has no insulation or floor in the attic - just open joists.
At the bottom of the floor joists is metal foil that was nailed to the underside of the joists.
We would like to insulate between the floor joists before winter sets in.
In the next two years, we plan to renovate the second floor and build a master bedroom suite and plan to install floor rediant heat (possibly warmboard).
1) What type of insulation do you recommend? If batt insulation, should it be faced or unfaced?
2) What r-value do you recommend?
3) What is the pupose of the metal foil that was nailed to the underside of the joists?
4) Do I need to install a vapor barrier?
5) When I eventually finish the second floor, do I need to remove the insulation I installed?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can share your expertise and advice!!