Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>hot water heat registers
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
hot water heat registers

I acquired my grandmas house a few years ago and I am trying to sell the house. I know it is a big turn off, because it has hot water heat which is not the problem. A few years back the water in the pipes must have froze and a number of registers had blown the ends off them. I have searched numerous places and my dad before me had search for some old registers to replace them with. But know luck. I could sure use some help in finding a way to replace these registers.


Re: hot water heat registers

Deb if you are talking about cast iron radiators you need to check for salvage shops. They are many around the country and every one I've have visited have had many available. Here's a few online sources

Re: hot water heat registers


could you provide more info (and possibly a photo or two) as to exactly what you're trying to replace---there are at least 5 different registers used in hot water systems, including stand-up convectors, cast iron rads,stainless steel rads, baseboard, floor vectors, kickspace heaters, etc.

As JLMCD noted, cast iron rads can be obtained at local used plumbing supplies & salvage yards.

In other cases, the blown registers can be replaced with any one of the 5 other convectors---available at plumbing & heating supply houses in your area.

Baseboard is very easy to install & is available everywhere, including HD/Lowe's, but should cost less at a heating supply house, approx. $6/ft.

If the system did indeed freeze, it has to be tested with air pressure before it is put back into service---quite often there are hidden breaks that can't be seen during inspections.

A regular tire valve with a psi gauge is attached to the piping & 20 PSI of air is pumped into the piping with a tire pump to check for leaks.


Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.