4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hide Wood Grain

I am going to be painting oak kitchen cabinets white and would like to hide the wood grain for the finished product. Anyone got any ideas on how to do this? I am going to be using a HPLV Spray gun when I do paint them

Re: Hide Wood Grain
Re: Hide Wood Grain

Use a grain filler. On oak I would recommend an oil based filler because it is less likely to raise the grain. Sand and apply finish.

Re: Hide Wood Grain

Grain fillers, as JLMCDANIEL recommends, are intended for filling grain prior to staining. I believe you are talking about existing varnished cabinets?

I am not familar with the product suggested by Sombreuil. At $110for 2.5 liters (less than 3 quarts), I hope it would be good! It appears to be a very high solids, high build oil based enamel undercoater. It has a very long dry time.

In the past, I have used oil based enamel undercoater to mask undesired grain and texture. Enamel undercoater is designed to build up the surface and then be sanded smooth. I have used it to mask oak graining. I also used it for masking "ropey", brush marked past paint jobs.

You apparently have HVLP equipment. I would consider spraying the doors in a horizontal position, so as to allow maximum build without risking running or sagging. Unfortunately, this neccessitates spraying on two separate days, or at least, several hours apart. I would thin the primer sparingly. Mild splatter will be eliminated during a thorough hand sanding.

In the worse case scenario, a second coat of undercoater might be neccessary to obtain the desired build( this is also suggested with the brushing putty named in the above post).

The standard preparation applies - clean well and give a scuff sanding before undercoating.

I am partial to spraying an oil finish coat, however, oil paints do tend to yellow with age. Acrylics do not yellow, but fail to get hard, retaining a gummy, sticky feeling, especially in humid weather.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.