Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>hard wiring smoke detector question
13 posts / 0 new
Last post
gwilkrrs
hard wiring smoke detector question

so I have 4 wired smoke detectors to install. the rough ins are complete but I think he made a mistake. there is 2 wire (black/white/ground) going to the first box, 3 wire going from the first box to the second box, but from the second to third and from the third to the fourth is 2 wire not 3 wire....... I think there is supposed to be 3 wire to all but the first? now I am worried because all ceilings are done and there is no way to get back to them to correct if needed........

Re: hard wiring smoke detector question
gwilkrrs wrote:

so I have 4 wired smoke detectors to install. the rough ins are complete but I think he made a mistake. there is 2 wire (black/white/ground) going to the first box, 3 wire going from the first box to the second box, but from the second to third and from the third to the fourth is 2 wire not 3 wire....... I think there is supposed to be 3 wire to all but the first? now I am worried because all ceilings are done and there is no way to get back to them to correct if needed........

Unless you have mixed in some wireless devices, all interconnecting wires need to be three wire.

Re: hard wiring smoke detector question
gwilkrrs wrote:

so I have 4 wired smoke detectors to install. the rough ins are complete but I think he made a mistake. there is 2 wire (black/white/ground) going to the first box, 3 wire going from the first box to the second box, but from the second to third and from the third to the fourth is 2 wire not 3 wire....... I think there is supposed to be 3 wire to all but the first? now I am worried because all ceilings are done and there is no way to get back to them to correct if needed........

duplicate post

dj1
Re: hard wiring smoke detector question

Which wires do you have from #2 to #3 and from #3 to #4?

gwilkrrs
Re: hard wiring smoke detector question

feed to first box= 2 wire
box 1 to box 2= 3 wire
box 2 to box 3= 2wire
box 3 to box4= 2 wire

no wireless devices......

Re: hard wiring smoke detector question
gwilkrrs wrote:

feed to first box= 2 wire
box 1 to box 2= 3 wire
box 2 to box 3= 2wire
box 3 to box4= 2 wire

no wireless devices......

Sounds like a problem. Maybe you could install wireless detectors to correct the problem.

gwilkrrs
Re: hard wiring smoke detector question

stink................. that's what I thought.

Re: hard wiring smoke detector question
gwilkrrs wrote:

stink................. that's what I thought.

Since wireless may be pricey, if the 2 wire runs are accessible, it may be cheaper to swap them out for 3 wire.

gwilkrrs
Re: hard wiring smoke detector question

so it took 5 hours but we managed to pull a solid single wire thru to the fixtures- from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3......

Re: hard wiring smoke detector question
gwilkrrs wrote:

so it took 5 hours but we managed to pull a solid single wire thru to the fixtures- from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3......

So your smokes were run with conduit?

gwilkrrs
Re: hard wiring smoke detector question

not run in conduit

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.