25 posts / 0 new
Last post
JLMCDANIEL
Re: Grounding old oulets

Kent,
You've made a good point about the neutral /common junction. I may have errored in thinking that if an "electrician" did the job he knew that. I shoudn't have considered the rest of what he said.
Jack

canuk
Re: Grounding old oulets
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Kent,
Andy stated that a ground rod was installed a a ground wire was run to the panel.

Electronic equipment use filters to ground to remove electrical noise, surges, EMI, and RFI . It may be as simple as an RC network tied to ground to some fairly complicated circuitry. Even those surge suppressor power strips used to protect computers from surges require a ground to work. In doing surveys before the installation of electronic equipment, a proper ground was one of the first things we checked for and required. Jack

Jack ... wouldn't this only apply to devices with a ground plug ... any device that has only 2 prong plugs wouldn't have this consideration.

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Grounding old oulets

Canuk,
You are correct 2 prong plugs do not need ground but how do you know what is going to be plugged into the outlet. It may be a lamp today and tomorrow they may rearrange furniture and put a computer desk there.

Do you know why the newer 2 prong plugs have a wide and a narrow prong and why it is important to wire up a lamp with the right wire to the narrow and wide prong?

Jack

kentvw
Re: Grounding old oulets
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Do you know why the newer 2 prong plugs have a wide and a narrow prong and why it is important to wire up a lamp with the right wire to the narrow and wide prong?

Jack

Ohh,Ohh, I know, I know! :D :D :D

canuk
Re: Grounding old oulets
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

Canuk,
You are correct 2 prong plugs do not need ground but how do you know what is going to be plugged into the outlet. It may be a lamp today and tomorrow they may rearrange furniture and put a computer desk there.
Jack

Yep ... what will be plugged into the outlet can change.
Sorry I wasn't clear with my post .... to qualify electronic equipment.

You mentioned : Electronic equipment use filters to ground to remove electrical noise, surges, EMI, and RFI . It may be as simple as an RC network tied to ground to some fairly complicated circuitry ... these would have a three prong plug. In cases it would be ideal to provide isolated and dedicated grounded circuits to these but not very practical for residential applications.

You are absolutely correct in order for them to utilize the filtering circuitry they would require a grounded circuit .... though they would operate on a non grounded circuit just without the proper filtering designed into them .

The common AC powered electronics that utilize a two prong plug won't have this consideration since they don't require and have no connection to ground.

Oops... straying off topic a bit.:)

Quote:

Do you know why the newer 2 prong plugs have a wide and a narrow prong and why it is important to wire up a lamp with the right wire to the narrow and wide prong?

What's the prize ... a NEW car or a Halloween pumpkin ? :D

Attachment: 
djohns
Re: Grounding old oulets

Here's a hint . " Lamp socket " :D

kentvw
Re: Grounding old oulets

Okay you's wise guy's............. If you are using two wire "zip" cord to feed said socket in a table lamp which wire should be used for the neutral?

Go ahead................ no fair googling either. :D

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Grounding old oulets
canuk wrote:

Yep ... what will be plugged into the outlet can change.
Sorry I wasn't clear with my post .... to qualify electronic equipment.

You mentioned : Electronic equipment use filters to ground to remove electrical noise, surges, EMI, and RFI . It may be as simple as an RC network tied to ground to some fairly complicated circuitry ... these would have a three prong plug. In cases it would be ideal to provide isolated and dedicated grounded circuits to these but not very practical for residential applications.

How about variable speed drill with 3 prong plug?
How about a refrigerator with a 3 prong plug?
How about an antenna rotor control with a 3 prong plug?
There are a lot of 3 pronged items used in the home.
Jack

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Grounding old oulets
kentvw wrote:

Okay you's wise guy's............. If you are using two wire "zip" cord to feed said socket in a table lamp which wire should be used for the neutral?

Go ahead................ no fair googling either. :D

Kent, The real question is why?:confused:
Jack

canuk
Re: Grounding old oulets
JLMCDANIEL wrote:

How about variable speed drill with 3 prong plug?
How about a refrigerator with a 3 prong plug?
How about an antenna rotor control with a 3 prong plug?
There are a lot of 3 pronged items used in the home.
Jack

The point is about electronic equipment ... not about 3 prong devices.:)

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.