After the recent rains on the east coast our basement, which is normally dry, took some water. Not a ton of water, but three or four large towels worth. There was no damage to speak of.
My wife then noticed that the washer and dryer wouldn't come on and that the GFCI outlet was lit, in the tripped position. We tried to reset it and it immediately popped back out.
I hit the internet and found a lot of information. We already had our dehumidifier running. I set a heater/fan near the GFCI outlet in an attempt to dry it out. I also tried using a hair dryer to dry it out as well. After 5 or 6 hours of these techniques when you hit the reset on the GFCI it says on for 1 to 2 minutes, then pops again.
The GFCI outlet is set up near the washer and dryer but also connects to another outlet with our sump pump and water heater. The water heater is gas, but has an electric component for efficiency. The house is newer (3-4) years old and up until now we've never had any issue with the GFCI. We had a major plumbing issue, where we got a ton of water once before and this didn't happen then. There has been a crazy amount of rain on the east coast in the past month - but I don't know if this is related.
My question is this? Will the GFCI "dry out"? Should I just replace it? Is it possible that this isn't set up right, and never was?
Any info and ideas would be greatly appreciated.