3 posts / 0 new
Last post
GFCI fit

My wife installed a GFCI outlet on an interior wall in the bathroom in our small 1970 house before I married her. The outlet is too big for the box, so there is a gap of about 1/8" from the wall from being flush. We recently had the kitchen redone and I would like to add two GFCI outlets on exterior walls but don't want to face this issue again. The house is a demo from about 1970.

By the way, since I am asking, how do you move an old phone box/jack? The one in the kitchen is now under the new cabinets.

Maybe these might be some good Ask This Old House suggestions? Thanks ahead.

sparky rw
Re: GFCI fit

on the bathroom gfi-check to see if there is anything behind the device preventing it from going all the way in.maybe a wire nut(or two). you can cut in a larger box to handle the make-up. this would work with your kitchen also. you can replace a single gang box(one device) with a larger two gang box with a single gang plaster ring. this will,of course bring in the dreaded dry wall repair. but check for obstructions first. DONT cut your wires too short to make room. leave enough to pull the device out of the box. low voltage (t.v. phone) splice where you can and run to new location. splices buried in the wall are not great but you have to do what you have to do.(low voltage only)

Re: GFCI fit

You could also install a surface box, such as those made by Wiremold. Get a surface box with an open back that will extend the existing box.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.