We recently bought a one level + basement 1916 craftsman house in Seattle. It has developed a general musty (moldy?) smell throughout the house that generally correlates with the rainy season starting. I cannot pinpoint a single source, all rooms just generally smell. The basement does not smell more than the main level, in fact possibly less.
I have done extensive searching for any visible mold or moisture and cannot find any. The attic and basement are exposed and accessible and dry.
- I've had the air ducts cleaned
- I've ran the dehumidifier in the basement for days on end
- I checked the attic ... we recently had a new roof put so the attic is quite dry
I'm about out of ideas. I guess next I will hire a mold inspector. The only thing I can think is that there is something inside the walls (plaster on lath)?
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.