Home>Discussions>PAINTING & FINISHING>Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs
15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs

I built my house about 10 years ago. Every summer we are invaded by spiders in our attached garage. We use insectcide but they are dangerous kids/pets and they are only a temporary fix. I am going to repaint my garage. Is there any type of paint I can use to keep away spiders and the like?

canuk
Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs
Quote:

Is there any type of paint I can use to keep away spiders and the like?

Perhaps a loud , gaudy , outrageous color.

Seriously .... the reason for the spiders is simply because there is a food source of other insects. A garage is a perfect environment since it can be dark , cool and damp ..... allowing different types of insects to thrive..... regardless of whatever paint finishes.

Cleaning the garage regularly and uncluttered will help but won't totally eliminate insects .... it's nature.

J Roper
Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs

CANUK is right. As far as paints go there is an additive to put into paint that has a residual affect. I've used it before and it works for a year or so. Spraying for insecticides have a lot of things to consider as far as safety goes with kids and pets. Most interior sprays say they are safe after they dry. Check the label. I guess the FDA controls thier claims.(?)
You might even check the FDA's website.

Blue RidgeParkway
Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs
J Roper wrote:

CANUK is right. As far as paints go there is an additive to put into paint that has a residual affect. I've used it before and it works for a year or so. Spraying for insecticides have a lot of things to consider as far as safety goes with kids and pets. Most interior sprays say they are safe after they dry. Check the label. I guess the FDA controls thier claims.(?)
You might even check the FDA's website.

I wouldn't bother checking the FDA website since they don't regulate pesticides or insecticides. The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) does. Your local county extension office (cooperative extensions from your state's universities) and your state's EPA might have helpful info too.

J Roper
Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs

OOPS! My bad. I meant the EPA. (EPD is state) Please don't discount my entire reply due to that slip. thanks

lorilori
Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs

Try eucalyptus...

ed21
Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs

You can give me a call. Everybody else in my house does when they spot a spider.(four girls):D

A. Spruce
Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs
ed21 wrote:

You can give me a call. Everybody else in my house does when they spot a spider.(four girls):D

We just usually call the girls, spiders are their specialty ... :D

As already mentioned, periodic cleaning will keep populations low, particularly if you catch them before egg sacs hatch. Eucalyptus will probably go quite a long ways as prevention as well, and a act as an air freshener to boot. Fresh sprigs hung around should do nicely. An added benefit, eucalyptus also drives off mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, and other critters you'd rather not have around.

TRLambert
Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs

A Spruce:

Is that a Crepe Myrtle in the background? Nice girth on it!

Love the chickens. How do you keep them from eating every last thing in the yard? My chickens won't leave anything alone.

Tim

A. Spruce
Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs
TRLambert wrote:

A Spruce:

Is that a Crepe Myrtle in the background? Nice girth on it!

Love the chickens. How do you keep them from eating every last thing in the yard? My chickens won't leave anything alone.

Tim

Yup! There's two Myrtles in that picture. I hate the messy darned things, but the girlfriend is attached to them.

The girls do make a mess of things. They leave most of the flowerbed items alone, the vegetable garden is another story. We got them for two reasons, first and foremost is the fresh eggs, secondary benefit is that they've decimated the bug population around here, spiders being one of their favorites, particularly the egg sacs. Now if we could just get them to eat all the darned ants. :D

canuk
Re: Garage interior paint to deter spiders/bugs

Just need to ad an Ant Eater to the mix and call it a zoo.
Geez ... you could charge a nominal admittance fee .... can you say Beer ?:D

Pages

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.