11 posts / 0 new
Last post
A. Spruce
Re: floating floor lifting? help!

My suspicion is moisture has gotten to the underside. Is the flooring noticeable thicker where it's curled up?

robert houle
Re: floating floor lifting? help!
A. Spruce wrote:

My suspicion is moisture has gotten to the underside. Is the flooring noticeable thicker where it's curled up?

no it does not appear to be thicker in that area we put a moisture barrier plastic n an underlayment pad underneath the laminate although that is a thought about the moisture? thank you

A. Spruce
Re: floating floor lifting? help!

You mentioning the problem at the front door, it's possible that moisture was brought through the door on shoes, or a poorly sealed door/threshold could allow some minor seepage of exterior moisture and was able to get past the sealant used along the edge of the flooring.

The cure may be nothing short of replacing the damaged area. The prevention is another matter and depends on what caused the problem to begin with.

robert houle
Re: floating floor lifting? help!
A. Spruce wrote:

You mentioning the problem at the front door, it's possible that moisture was brought through the door on shoes, or a poorly sealed door/threshold could allow some minor seepage of exterior moisture and was able to get past the sealant used along the edge of the flooring.

The cure may be nothing short of replacing the damaged area. The prevention is another matter and depends on what caused the problem to begin with.

o my that could be because we do leave our shoes at the front door we may have to put linoleum there in front of the door instead of laminate do u think it could also be because the floor may not be leveled underneath?

robert houle
Re: floating floor lifting? help!
A. Spruce wrote:

You mentioning the problem at the front door, it's possible that moisture was brought through the door on shoes, or a poorly sealed door/threshold could allow some minor seepage of exterior moisture and was able to get past the sealant used along the edge of the flooring.

The cure may be nothing short of replacing the damaged area. The prevention is another matter and depends on what caused the problem to begin with.

o my that could be because we do leave our shoes at the front door we may have to put linoleum there in front of the door instead of laminate do u think it could also be because the floor may not be leveled underneath?

robert houle
Re: floating floor lifting? help!
robert houle wrote:

o my that could be because we do leave our shoes at the front door we may have to put linoleum there in front of the door instead of laminate do u think it could also be because the floor may not be leveled underneath?

o and now that im thinking about replacing the flooring by the door to replace it with laminate again do you know how difficult that would be and how i would even start taking out the buckled up laminate first?

A. Spruce
Re: floating floor lifting? help!
robert houle wrote:

o my that could be because we do leave our shoes at the front door we may have to put linoleum there in front of the door instead of laminate do u think it could also be because the floor may not be leveled underneath?

You should be fine with laminate, as long as it's sealed around the perimeter. Caulk along the baseboard and door threshold and the use of an entry mat/carpet on which to enter the house and store shoe on would do wonders, and should answer water issues from the top, but not possible water sources from underneath. Is your front door exposed to direct water contact, through rain or sprinklers systems? If so, then you're probably getting seepage under the door bottom or the threshold that will need to be sealed off. If it's rain, you'll have a hard time redirecting it unless you build an overhang above the door. If it's sprinklers, that isn't such a hard thing to deal with.

Another source of moisture could be from water lines in nearby walls or a leaking toilet in an adjoining bathroom.

robert houle
Re: floating floor lifting? help!
A. Spruce wrote:

You should be fine with laminate, as long as it's sealed around the perimeter. Caulk along the baseboard and door threshold and the use of an entry mat/carpet on which to enter the house and store shoe on would do wonders, and should answer water issues from the top, but not possible water sources from underneath. Is your front door exposed to direct water contact, through rain or sprinklers systems? If so, then you're probably getting seepage under the door bottom or the threshold that will need to be sealed off. If it's rain, you'll have a hard time redirecting it unless you build an overhang above the door. If it's sprinklers, that isn't such a hard thing to deal with.

Another source of moisture could be from water lines in nearby walls or a leaking toilet in an adjoining bathroom.

why thank you very much u know i think you are right!
there is alot of rain drainage by my front door it seems to be very wet there when it rains. i wonder how i will get the laminate back in once i get it out i think it needs to be cut 1/4 of an inch or so it is extremely tight now. the floor was laid in feb of this year and it seems as there is not enough room to expand.

A. Spruce
Re: floating floor lifting? help!

If you've got water problems that close to the house, it's pretty much a guarantee that your slab is wicking that moisture inside. Since the plastic vapor barrier can't encase the floor through a doorway like it does along walls, this would be my guess as to why you're seeing the problem mainly at the front door. When the floor was installed, it may have had the proper gap, though with the moisture it has expanded to the point the gap is closed. Direct moisture will cause far more severe expansion than fluctuations in temperature or humidity.

If you've actually got Pergo, then you should be able to remove the base boards in the area affected, lift the edge and get the pieces to decouple. Remove the affected area and replace with new material, reinstall the baseboards. This isn't a horrendously big deal if you're somewhat handy, if you're not, then I suggest calling in a pro to do the repair.

Partizannka
Re: floating floor lifting? help!

OMG! That sound like a nightmare to me :D

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.