8 posts / 0 new
Last post
vmetoyer
Faucet pressure

My kitchen faucet has good pressure on the hot water side. Cold water side has very low pressure. All water valve shutoff have been checked and are fully opened. What else could be wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vic, Crossville Tn

HoustonRemodeler
Re: Faucet pressure

Try flushing out the faucet using this method.

1- Clear out the area below the sink
2- Shut off the water valve to the cold water only
3- Disconnect the supply hose at the supply valve only
4- Point the hose into clean bucket
5- Have someone turn on the faucet to warm temperature. Some water will come out the cold hose from the faucet.
6- Look for dirt / gunk/ debris
7- If you see some, then re-connect the hose and live happily ever after.

8- In none, then reconnect the hose at the valve.
9- Disconnect the cold supply hose from the faucet.
10- Point the hose into the emptied clean bucket
11- Turn on the cold water valve.
12- Check the flow rate compared to the hot side
13- Look for gunk
14- Tell us what happened.

A. Spruce
Re: Faucet pressure

What he said! :cool:

dj1
Re: Faucet pressure

All of the above is just STEP 1. If you still have a problem after doing all that, look at your angle stops next.

BTW, what kind of pipes do you have?

vmetoyer
Re: Faucet pressure
HoustonRemodeler wrote:

Try flushing out the faucet using this method.

1- Clear out the area below the sink
2- Shut off the water valve to the cold water only
3- Disconnect the supply hose at the supply valve only
4- Point the hose into clean bucket
5- Have someone turn on the faucet to warm temperature. Some water will come out the cold hose from the faucet.
6- Look for dirt / gunk/ debris
7- If you see some, then re-connect the hose and live happily ever after.

8- In none, then reconnect the hose at the valve.
9- Disconnect the cold supply hose from the faucet.
10- Point the hose into the emptied clean bucket
11- Turn on the cold water valve.
12- Check the flow rate compared to the hot side
13- Look for gunk
14- Tell us what happened.

ok as per above I have completed. I did not notice any gunk. The water pressure coming from the wall through the hose was equal to the hot water. I am assuming there is something in the faucet itself. Oh yeah when I initially turn back on the cold water and opened the valve I did have good pressure momentairily. Thanks for the advice so far. What's next?

dj1
Re: Faucet pressure

You didn't mention the type of faucet you have, but eliminiating most of the things we mentioned, look at your stems/cartridge. Replace them and see if there is an improvement.

It's just as easy to cut your losses and save time (if you can't find replacement parts) - and replace the faucet. Some faucet makers offer lifetime warranty, but parts don't come to you overnight.

vmetoyer
Re: Faucet pressure
dj1 wrote:

All of the above is just STEP 1. If you still have a problem after doing all that, look at your angle stops next.

BTW, what kind of pipes do you have?

copper tubing

vmetoyer
Re: Faucet pressure
dj1 wrote:

You didn't mention the type of faucet you have, but eliminiating most of the things we mentioned, look at your stems/cartridge. Replace them and see if there is an improvement.

It's just as easy to cut your losses and save time (if you can't find replacement parts) - and replace the faucet. Some faucet makers offer lifetime warranty, but parts don't come to you overnight.

I believe Lowes has the replacement parts needed. I am going to try this next. Thanks for the advice.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.