Home>Discussions>YARD & GARDEN>Fall 2015 Vegetable Garden Report
18 posts / 0 new
Last post
dj1
Re: Fall 2015 Vegetable Garden Report
dj1

The latest from our garden:

It looks like we have successes and failures.

Tomatoes are doing well, good size tomatoes are in sight. So far, no caterpillars in sight.

Long string green beans: only about half made it. The fastest growing one is already 4' tall (we let them grow to 6' tall before we make them expand horizontally).

Corn: only 6 plants made it. We are still hopeful.

Green onion and chive: doing well.

Bell peppers are not doing well.

Lemon tree is loaded with tiny green lemons.

Mandarin tree is loaded with tiny green mandarins.

Orange tree: we can see a few, it's hard to see them all, but we usually get a better picture of the number of oranges we have later, like around Sept. The ones we see are the size of golf balls.

Next week we'll plant other things (bitter melon and others).

A. Spruce
A. Spruce

I tilled the garden well over a month ago, then the girlfriend decided that she wanted to sift the soil to remove the rocks and debris, not a big deal, this is something I've wanted to do for a while, as the horse manure we brought in a few years ago had all manner of debris in it. Well . . . she is hand sifting to the minutia, removing even pea sized gravel and debris, needless to say, she is not making much progress and has only done a very small portion of the garden area. She says she's going out tomorrow to buy starter plants, I have no idea what her plans are re: planting. :rolleyes:

dj1
dj1

"She says she's going out tomorrow to buy starter plants, I have no idea what her plans are re: planting. "

I think there are books around on the subject of "How to read a gf or a wife: she says this, but means that". It's a translator to English men can relate to and understand.

Even with the most straight communication, men usually miss what women say, intend to say, mean or intend to mean. Also, what they don't say but men supposed to know.

A. Spruce
A. Spruce

I have that book!

dj1
dj1
A. Spruce wrote:

I have that book!

No spruce, this is the "State of California Jerry Brown's Sales Tax Code".

They sold you the wrong book.

A. Spruce
A. Spruce

Nope! Says right on the cover, Men's Guide to Understanding Women, Volume 1 of 6.

keith3267
keith3267

You got one more corn plant than I did. I tried a new variety called Murai from Burgess. I did three plantings 2 weeks apart and only one planting, the second produced anything.

I might have a few more from the seeds I planted in the pea patch, but grass came up in the pea patch and before I got around to pulling it out, the pea plants where already using the grass stems for support. The type of grass coming up looks very much like a corn plant when it is very small and grows about 4' tall, kind of like wheat, but its not wheat. Might be a rye grass of some type.

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.