After a Crazy summer, with a capital C, things are cooling down around here. We had days over 110 F like never before - so many of them. One weekend we were in Vegas - it was 125 F. Still the town was packed.
- We still have tomatoes, the hardiest type is the cherry tomato.
- We still have string beans, giving a foot long beans.
- This summer we tried Bitter Melon - a squash type green veggie that looks like a cuke with wrinkles, and believed to be a natural cure for blood sugar. The supply at the stores was erratic, so my wife dried out some seeds and within a month we had the growing beautifully.
- Our corn plants, that grew up to over 7' tall were a failure. Never gave the anticipated corn...
- Our Baby Choi were too tempting for the insects, we had to harvest them immediately (too small).
- Our green onions keep on growing from the same bulbs, continuously. Very dependable.
- Our Bell peppers keep failing - this must be the wrong soil for them in the back yard, Any advice?
- We managed to grow 3 soccer ball size pumpkins, just in time for treat o trick night.
That's all folks.