Home>Discussions>INSULATION & HVAC>Experience With Energy Kinetics System 2000
111 posts / 0 new
Last post
NYDINO
Re: Experience With Energy Kinetics System 2000
amazer98 wrote:

As a newbie to this TOH forum, I have to say there's a lot of valuable info here. I'm especially enjoying reading through the threads of this System 2000 discussion, since I am planning to upgrade our 25 year old Burnham oil boiler in a month or so and... after much research... have decided... with a little trepidation... to install a System 2000.

Our local oil company installs boilers, including Burnham, Buderus and System, 2000, and the general manager has highly recommended the latter. He says they've installed quite a few, that they're reliable, save the most oil, and that customers love them. I had been considering a Buderus G115WS, but heard that the Logamatic controls were complicated to figure out and use.

When I talked with the manager yesterday, he said that Buderus would probably cut oil consumption by 10 percent or so, but the 2000 would cut it by at least 30 percent.

I have a couple of questions that I wanted to ask. Should we install a stainless chimney liner? Our 1986 2100sf cape has a 35 foot outside chimney (measuring from basement)-- well the chimney actually abuts the garage interior, so it's not completely outside. I understand that the chimney has a tiled flue in good shape. The oil co. manager says we don't need a liner, but I called Energy Kinetics and they said we should install a liner.

Secondly, should I install a Tiger Loop? Our oil guy says it's not necessary, and our current system has worked fine without one. But I've read several comments by System 2000 users (some in this thread here) saying that the TL solved many frustrating burner problems. Should I just wait to see if any issues arise?

The oil fellow did say that a spin-on filter would be a good idea, so I'll have him include that.

Thanks for all your input.

You most likely don't need the liner but if you ever switch over to gas you will. Also on the tiger loop it turns out most of my filter issues were because my oil tank was in the garage and it was a long way to and from my burner so when ever the filter got even slightly dirty it would cause the pump to work really hard. I had a company called OSI from Oceanside NY who are authorized dealer for the system 2000 give me a service contract and they had told me that a tiger loop would solve my fuel issues and sure enough it has, they also cleaned the line and recommended switching to a 1/2 inch copper line over the 3/8 one I have now, but it seems fine with the 3/8 for now. I'm on the same filter from Oct and the pressure gauge is still way low. Just a note with this warm winter my fuel consumption has been really low and considering the price of oil this year I'm very thankful. Unless we get a really cold March I'm going to use between 500-600 gallons this year. I love my System 2000, even more since I found a good service company.

ACP3165

When the system works it works well. But Ive had 4 system manager failures in 10 years. At $400+ for the parts alone it gets old quick! Previous owner had this system installed about a year or 2 before we bought the house. Reliability is subpar in my opinion based on my experience with it. If there were a cheaper alternative to it I'd retrofit it with something else & scrap this system! Shop around for something else.

jim hankinson

If your manager was replaced 4 times in 10 years it's quite possible there's a different problem that's being misdiagnosed. Also, by doing the math, at least one, and possibly more, of those managers should have been under warranty.

If the system is less than 15 years old your manager has a 3 yr warranty for rebuilt, 5 years if new. If the system was installed pre-1997 the manager has a 1 yr warranty for rebuilt, 3 yr for new.

jarintoul

Does anyone know the expected life of a System 2000 installed in 1995 (17 years ago). My water tank is starting to leak and needs replacement and I am concerned the EK may not be far behind. It has been a good unit with minimum problems to date. I burned fuel oil for 1st 15 years and then switched to a Carlin Combustion natural gas burner 2 years ago which has been fine. Biggest problem is finding someone to work on it!

jim hankinson

With routine maintenance the system should last at least 30-35 years. Although you have a gas burner and will not have the accumulation of scale or ash that you might have from an oil burner, it's still important to have the system checked to be sure the safeties and venting are functional and in good condition.

For assistance in finding a service company call the manufacturer. They will either give you names of local service companies or put you in touch with the local rep who can.

johnharvard

I just replaced the fuel filter on my unit today and now the furnace will not fire up. Do the fuel lines need to bled when installing a new filter?

jim hankinson

When you replace the oil filter on any oil burner you will need to bleed the air out. EK uses standard burners so the same startup procedure applies as with any other system.

amazer98

So we installed a System 2000 last January to replace the aging Weil-McLean boiler in our 27 year old house. I was sold on the energy saving theory behind System 2000, along with a number of positive reviews I read on various heating forums.

Obviously, the winter of 2011-12 was a mild one here in southern NH, so it can be a bit tricky to figure out our oil savings on an apples vs apple basis, at least until another couple of years go by.. However, we had an oil delivery at the end of March 2012, so I can compare our fuel usage from then to our most recent filling on Nov.10.

I keep records of all our fillings, and compared this recent period since we started using the System 2000 to several earlier years, estimating consumption for the several days difference between deliveries in one year vs another. On average, we are saving 30-32% over the April thru mid-November timeframe– (about 300 gallons on prior system vs 205 gallons on System 2000). A good chunk of this is obviously used for hot water.

One big advantage of the System 2000 is that it’s unbelievably quiet. It sounds like a microwave when it runs, as opposed to a hairdryer. Since the boiler is right under our living room, that makes a difference!

All in all, I am very impressed with the System 2000. If you gotta burn oil -- and here in New England it the cheapest fuel after natural gas and wood pellets-- this is the best way to go.

elmer255

So I had some issues earlier this year with my system manager. I finally got the right guys into fix it and it has been good ever since. I am really considering a conversion from oil to gas- I already have gas in the house for my oven and clothes dryer.I am wondering what this entails, if it is worth it and if the efficiency of the boiler will improve. It looks as thought it would use the Carlin EZ burner. When we moved into our house in 2000, oil was $1 a gallon, now it is $4.Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

amazer98

By "gas", do you mean propane or natural gas? Propane has always been about 15% more expensive than oil on a per-btu basis, at least here in New England, but piped-in natural gas has gotten quite cheap over the past few years, thanks to environmentally dubious fracking in Appalachia and elsewhere.

If you have natural gas service on your street, it would be economical to burn it in your boiler, assuming it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount to connect it to your house. But propane will be more expensive than oil, unless you live in an area where it is unusually cheap.

Pages

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.