4 posts / 0 new
Last post
"emotional defect" laws

I read someplace that there are laws protecting buyers from "emotional defect" and "stigmatized properties" (haunted properties). Has anyone here ever reneged on an offer due to haunting, or on account of just not feeling right in a new place?

This has happened in the past, but how does one go about doing this without sounding crazy? Who do you call/ talk to?

See Property Crimes at crimelibrary.com

A. Spruce
Re: "emotional defect" laws

According to the article in your link, it would fall under "non-disclosure", which most states recognize in some form or fashion. Basically disclosure laws state that the owner must inform the buyer of all "known" issues concerning the structure. Any real estate attorney could advise you on the procedures of filing a claim.

Re: "emotional defect" laws

Have you bought or offered for such a property without knowing that something terrible had happened there?

If it's you, then I suggest a real estate attorney - but interview a few until you get someone familiar with such situations.

Of course, if it really is haunted, it would make for a graat book or spooky movie!

All kidding aside, if you need to know about a property and no one's talking, check all the public records and historical archives, old newpaper accounts, etc, if you have to build a case.

You'd need something solid, or it could simply appear as 'second thoughts' or buyers remorse.... it has to have something substantial to qualify for a tainted property.

Re: "emotional defect" laws

You call the same person you should have called before you signed the contract, a real estate lawyer. It always amazes me that people will call a lawyer if the get a traffic ticket, don't don't invest in one for probably the biggest purchase of their life. In jurisdiction where they don't have full disclosure laws a good real estate lawyer would have a full disclosure clause in the contract.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.