4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Drywall repair

Years ago (probably 25)I used a produce for drywall repair that I can't find. I think it was made by Red-Devil but could have been someone else. This was for repair (actually hiding) small damaged areas. It was a sheet of very thin nylon material with a heat activated adhesive. You cut it to cover a hole and ironed it on. The edges would dissapear as the adhesive melted. Then you just paint it. The edges were thinner than a layer of paint, so it really did hide the hole.

I can't find this product anywhere. The paint store folks have not heard of it.

Anyone know?

A. Spruce
Re: Drywall repair

Why not just fix the hole properly, rather than creating a nightmare for someone else?:confused:

Re: Drywall repair

There are all kinds of drywall repair kits available in stores. Some disappear from the stores and some stay around longer.
But I simply use mud and mesh or tape for most drywall damages. You will need knowledge and patience to do it right.

A. Spruce
Re: Drywall repair
dj1 wrote:

You will need knowledge and patience to do it right.

Patience, yes, but the knowledge required is nothing more than what the existing wall should look like without the hole.

Whether you cut out the damage and replace it with new drywall or use a band aid patch, the end result is to end with a wall that looks like it was never damaged to begin with. That is where the patience comes in.

The methodology can be as simple as using a mesh repair kit, a wire or fiberglass screen is placed over the hole, then regular drywall compounds are used to tape, top, and texture the patch.

If you repair the hole with drywall, you simply cut out the hole with a 45* bevel, then cut a patch of new drywall with the same 45* bevel, butter the edge and push into place. apply the tape and work out the patch until it's smooth and flat, sanding if necessary. Putting backer sticks behind the patch (with screws ) will insure that the patch is flush with the existing drywall.

Then, it's a matter of applying texture to match the rest of the wall. Texture could be rolled, blown, stippled, sponged, troweled, etc. It just depends on what's there as to what it's going to be needed to replicate it.

Once that's all done it's two coats of primer and two top coats and you walk away knowing you've done the job right. :cool:

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.