4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Drooping Floors

Hello, and thank you for your time answering my question. I am looking at buying a building near where I live, and the building itself is very old. I would guess late 1800's to early 1900's. I have noticed inside the building that the plaster walls have cracked in a few areas of the home, and the center of the building in all apartments are sagging. I am worried that there is some kind of problem with support or the infrastracture of the building itself. Is it a crack in the foundation I cannot see? Is it just gravity on the support beams? Is it fixable without spending more than the building is worth? Last but certainly not least, is it safe for tenants to live in? Thank you again for your time.

Re: Drooping Floors

dusty .... unfortunately there's no way of telling over the internet what conditions exist.
Although .. based on your descriptions you definately should have a structural engineer evaluate the building as well have the mechanicals ( plumbing , electrical , HVAC , etc. ) evaluated.... especially if you are entertaining renting spaces to tenants.
Sounds like there will be big $$$ being put in .... may even be a total gut and renovation.

Hope this helps.:)

Re: Drooping Floors

Yeah - everything Canuk said (he's a very smart fella!).
And get a termite and other pest inspection, too.

Re: Drooping Floors
Marjorie wrote:

And get a termite and other pest inspection, too.

Yeah ...
like Marjorie said ( she's one smart lady ):D

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.