Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street
16 posts / 0 new
Last post
MedicMomSI
Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street

My house is on a hill ,resulting in a driveway with a steep approach angle. The street is formed by an extruded concrete curb and drainage channel, with asphalt pavement filling between curbs.

My wifes car bumper scrapes the every time she enters and leaves the driveway as the wheels enter this drainage channel.

We tried filling the drainage channel by applying a bonding agent and filling with concrete laid over the citys curb. The runoff now flows around the patch. This improved the situation greatly, but we should have been more aggressive in building the height and width to totally solve the problem. Now after 3 years, the water is managing to seep under the concrete patch and its cracking away in sections.

We can't make a proper revision to the apron, as it would encroach onto the city street, nor can we dig up the city's curb to rebuild the end as a one piece concrete slab. Any suggestions ,or a product that will stay in place when laid over the concrete? I’m told asphalt wont hold with the running water.
Phot taken before the concrete patch was applied

kentvw
Re: Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street

Move or buy her an SUV? I would say deal with it.

Blue RidgeParkway
Re: Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street

regrade the driveway and apron. you have no control over the grade or crown of the street.

kentvw
Re: Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street
Blue RidgeParkway wrote:

regrade the driveway and apron. you have no control over the grade or crown of the street.

Now there is some advice...............

Blue RidgeParkway
Re: Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street
kentvw wrote:

Move or buy her an SUV? I would say deal with it.

kentvw wrote:

Now there is some advice...............

same to you.

MedicMomSI
Re: Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street

I actually had hopes there might be some constructive suggestions on this site. Instead I found the AOL Board "Home Improvement for Morons". What was I thinking?

Thanks anyway, the thread is closed and Im terminating my participation here, so dont waste your efforts posting further replies. There will be no one to read them.

Bye

kentvw
Re: Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street

Put an air or hydro lift on the car.......Move. Or, buy a different car............Regrade the drive. Or............? Why do so many people have zero common sense?

Signed,
The Moron

Fencepost
Re: Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street

I can't think of anything that will stay stuck to the existing surface when there's a lot of water infiltration. Water is pretty powerful and persistent stuff over time.

I've seen people mount wheels on their bumpers for this very purpose. I think it was about a 2" or 3" heavy duty swivel caster.

Sometimes if you take it at an angle, you can avoid scraping.

Whenever there was a substitute driver on my school bus, they'd always end up scraping the bumper on one particularly steep street intersection. The regular driver knew how to take it so as not to scrape.

havanagranite
Re: Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street
Fencepost wrote:

I can't think of anything that will stay stuck to the existing surface when there's a lot of water infiltration. Water is pretty powerful and persistent stuff over time.

I've seen people mount wheels on their bumpers for this very purpose. I think it was about a 2" or 3" heavy duty swivel caster.

Sometimes if you take it at an angle, you can avoid scraping.

Whenever there was a substitute driver on my school bus, they'd always end up scraping the bumper on one particularly steep street intersection. The regular driver knew how to take it so as not to scrape.

I think that is very practical information my son's saturn comes in our one driveway without scraping by coming in at an angle instead of straight in this allows basically one wheel at a time to pass through the dip and by the time the last wheel clears your bumper is in the dip and not beyond it where it would normally scrape.

bsum1
Re: Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street

Holy mackeral.

Fencepost
Re: Driveway approach angle too steep and bumper scrapes street
bsum1 wrote:

Holy mackeral.

What do you call a religion that worships fish? Ichtheology?

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.