Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Molding & Carpentry>Drilling for dryer vent in 1860 house
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Louis
Drilling for dryer vent in 1860 house

We are installing a washer and dryer in the basement of our house built in 1860.  The basement has a concrete floor and stone foundation.  Before I drill a 4" hole for the dryer vent to exit the house, I want to ensure that it is safe to do so.  I don't know the name of the joist that I would be drilling through, but it is rough solid wood and sits on the stone foundation.  Is it safe to drill a four inch hole through this?  Thank you

HandyAndyInMtAiry
Re: Drilling for dryer vent in 1860 house

Louis,

Are you talking about the Rim Joist? I think that you may be. You never, ever want to create holes in wood structure. Drill thru concrete or stone only. Small holes are one thing, but a 4" hole in even a 12" joist can cause some real damage, depending on the location on the joist where the hole is going thru. a 4" hole is 1/3 of the width of a 12" beam. My house sits on 12"x12" Rim joist beams, and I went into orbit when the idiot cable installer drilled a 3/8" hole thru one of them. There is no way I would ever drill thru the Rim Joist.

Also, please don't tell me that you are going to use that cheap, white plastic hose for your dryer vent. Use hard vent pipe and tape all the joints. Screws into the pipe will cause link to catch and get hot, eventually could cause a fire. You want the inside of the pipe to be smooth with the least amount of protrusions as possible. Keep the number of 90 degree turns to a minimum. Use 45 degree turns where possible. Make sure that you insulate the duct so that condensation will not build up inside.

Possibly think about running the duct up into the first floor and out above the rim joist. I am only throwing out some suggestions. I cannot see what you see. You would know better as to what you are up against.

Andrew

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC

Louis
Re: Drilling for dryer vent in 1860 house

I believe that it is the rim joist, although it is where the electrical service and cable enters the house.  Yes, galvanized hard duct with tape.  My new plan is to replace glass in a window with plexiglass and drill through that.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.