Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>Draining hot water heater/system 2000
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dreikalina
Draining hot water heater/system 2000
Dreikalina

I have a system 2000 w/ matching water storage tank, that is about 7 years old. I have a water storage tank issue, I think. I live in the Berkshires, in Massachusetts (western part of state) and have hard water and silt issues. I use a Culligan water system to deal with these; however, I had tenants who did not maintain the system (changing the filter and adding enough salt), which may have contributed to the problem. Every now and then, if the water in the house is not used for a week or more...say, for example the tenants are on vacation, the water comes out silt-filled from the well, itself. So, to deal with this unfortunate fact of my life for the past six years, I run the water through the hose.. which by-passes the house system (no need to use Culligan for my hose). After it runs clear, which can take a couple days (ugh!) I re-connect it to the house. Now I have to flush out the pipes that would have gotten some silt in them, if the condition went, temporarily, undetected and the plumbing was used. It seems to be 90% un clear when running both hot and cold. Hot is always silty...a lot! Cold water is barely any traces of silt. So, I am theorizing the silt is loaded in the bowels of my hot water tank,as over the years this silty well thing happened from time to time. So, my hot water tank seems to send silty water into my house, and makes it a brown water. It can be up to an inch on the bottom of the deep soaker tub if I fill it. Silt carpets the bottom of my toilet tanks. So, the well being left alone seems to cause the initial problem. I think my tenants had that problem and did not tell me until weeks after the problem began. Now I fear my tank is filled with the sediment.
I believe I am intelligent enough to follow instructions to clean the sediment out, if I had them. Do you have any demonstrations for this? It's so helpful to see pics, or videos My system is an oil fired, hot water baseboard one, and I hate to replace something if it can be saved.

Sincerely,

Andrea, the hopeful

dj1
Re: Draining hot water heater/system 2000
dj1

you may have better luck finding answers to your questions by asking local plumbers or other pros.

Even an on line search might provide you with some answers. Try your luck at terryloveforum.com

jim hankinson
jim hankinson

The hot water storage tank is just that - a storage tank. It can be drained and flushed through the bottom drain valve. Who services the heating system? They should know how to clean it. If not they can call the Energy Kinetics Tech Support line for assistance. Ask them about installing an AquaPur Scale Stopper to take care of the hardness issue. The only maintenance necessary is replacing the cartridge once a year which can done at the annual system PM. This removes the necessity of having a tenant take care of it (or not).

von_steuben
von_steuben

Follow the advice of the other posters---------also try viewing the you tube videos that cover this topic by clicking onto:

http://www.youtube.com

Enter into their Search Box such topics as "Well Water Sediment","Well Water System", "Well Water System Problems", etc.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.