Home>Discussions>EXTERIORS>Door Stops for Front Door
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Door Stops for Front Door

Can you help us? I know this is NOT a major component to putting in a door, but we'd like to figure this out before we proceed.

We have 2 questions:
1) What are all the kinds of door stops that are available? We've found spring and solid (screw into the baseboard), goose neck and half dome (screw into the floor), hinge pin (attaches to the hinge), wall bumpers (screw into the wall at handle height), and for storm doors, a piston stop and closer. Are there other types? Are there any more that work or are incorporated into the hinge, maybe?
2) Which one matches the style or works best or at least is least noticeable in the entrance of a home such as ours?

We have an front door entry way that has 2 sets of 27 inch wide side windows flanking the door. The style of the entryway is "transitional." Partially behind the door (on the left as you enter)is an antique (and heirloom) piece of furniture. To the right is the entrance to the living room which is also transitional into more contemporary (as you move further into it).

Known Problems:
a) Without a stop of some kind, the front door can hit the antique.
b) Wall mounted stops can't be used thanks to the antique.
c) Stops that screw into the floor would be screwing into the hardwood floors. UGH!
d) Hinge pin stops have been used, but they tend to dig into the trim around the door. UGH!
e) Would a piston look odd (out of place) behind a solid wood front door?


Re: Door Stops for Front Door

There are different brands of hinge stops, you should try other kinds some don't dig in, i would recommend putting them on two hinges.

Gray Watson
Re: Door Stops for Front Door

You might try a style of hinge stops that has rubber caps on both contact points both the door and jamb sides. If the trim is being compressed you can either install a metal plate or do it the old fashioned way which is to install a metal receiving cap inset a bored or chisled space (usually held in place with a brad or screw plated to match the metal) to the hinge jamb and/or trim for the hinge stop to nest in.

Another less commercial/industrial alternative to an adjustable door closer with a catch setting is to use spring hinges and adjust to provide more resistance beyond a narrower swing angle.

If you hunt for them you might still be able to find replacement door hinges that are set to a narrower maximum swing angle than the 180 or 120 degrees that you might have now.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.