Hi, I have an entry door that has always given me a lot trouble when I bought the house a year ago I almost pulled of the door handle trying to get the door open for the first time. Once I had a chance to look at the door I found that there are several things that have me concerned about the door.
1. the door is visibly bowed across the top from the hinge side of the door to the knob side.
2. The upper knob side of the door is flush with the jamb, the bottom knob side is about a 1/4 of an inch proud. As a result there is a little bit of sunlight that can be seen at the bottom corner of the door despite the copper weather stripping.
3. The almost all the screws for the lock set have been stripped and relocated, if possible, or repaired at least once
4. There is is a "spring" to the door. By this I mean that to open or close the door I have to push or pull to the exterior to relieve the pressure on the dead bolt so that it can be set or retracted.
5. The mortise lockset hardware is toast.
I am thinking that I do need to get a new door but my wife is not happy with the prospect. please let me know what you think.