13 posts / 0 new
Last post
tooltrader
Dimming lights

My home was built in the 50's and has the original wiring .
Just 3-4 days ago all the ceiling lights would dim as the microwave was turned on .
I turned off all lights except for one and that still dimmed on microwave use . I have metal incased wiring under the house and wiring in the attic also . I believe the ceiling lights are separate from the wall plugs . The washer also causes this . I believe that the washer is on a dedicated circuit as it
appears to have been run directly underground to the outside box .
no breaker has tripped outside and no fuse has blown inside .
Whats going on here ?

HoustonRemodeler
Re: Dimming lights

It sounds like you don't have enough amps coming into the house. What does the meter panel or breaker box say on the largest amp fuse / main shut off ?

Re: Dimming lights

If it just started, call the power company before an electrician.

You may just have a defective crimp connection where they feed your house. Or, at the pole.

tooltrader
Re: Dimming lights

The outside box appears to have what I believe is called duplex breaker . They are 60 amps ea.
Also have two other singles at 30 amp ea. I've never had to reset them . On the inside there are 4 fuses . I haven't had to replace any of those in quite a while , all 20 amp.

keith3267
Re: Dimming lights

The problem could be almost anywhere from the fuse box to the transformer on the pole outside. If this is a relatively new problem, I would look at the fuse box first, and since it is a fuse box, you really may need a replacement. The outside wiring comes to a pair of buss bars in the fuse box. If the connection of the outside wires to the buss bar gets corroded or loose, then you will get the kind of issues you are experiencing.

With only 4 fuses in your fuse box, I don't think that you have as many dedicated circuits as you think. You should remove the fuses one at a time and map out what outlets, appliances and lights are affected by each one. Your microwave may be sharing a circuit with more things than you think.

If the lights in question share the same fuse as the microwave and the washer, the issue could be the fuse connection itself. Just pulling the fuse and resetting it might clear up the problem.

The reason the fuse is not blowing is resistance in the circuit. a connection that is going bad will develop more resistance than it should. Then when a load (light, microwave, etc) is turned on, that resistance drops some of the voltage. All the loads are in parallel, meaning that the loads are electrically side by side and not strung out in a row. Each time you add a load, more current goes through that resistance, which causes it to drop more voltage, so each load in turn gets less voltage. Hence the lights dim as you turn on appliances.

semi-retired is right in that it could also be loose nut and bolt on the transformer or a loose connection in the meter box, especially if it is an old meter box. The power company can check those first, but if they are OK, you will need a licensed electrician.

The short story is, you need a qualified electrician to look at this, and do not be surprised if the recommendation isn't for a new breaker panel to replace the old fuse box. BTW, I had an old breaker box in my house that started doing this and I ignored it too long. It eventually caught fire, fortunately the fire was contained inside the box and only lasted till the main breaker melted. Not much damage, just had to replace the breaker box. Mine was an older box that used an aluminum buss bar, back when they were allowed. Got a copper one now.

Re: Dimming lights

Nice answer Keith. Well said.

Fencepost
Re: Dimming lights

Can you tell what brand the breaker is? There are some that are known to be prone to failure (in a bad way), particularly Zinsco and Federal Pacific Electric.

This site has more information on the failure modes of those brands:

www.ismypanelsafe.com

tooltrader
Re: Dimming lights
tooltrader wrote:

My home was built in the 50's and has the original wiring .
Just 3-4 days ago all the ceiling lights would dim as the microwave was turned on .
I turned off all lights except for one and that still dimmed on microwave use . I have metal incased wiring under the house and wiring in the attic also . I believe the ceiling lights are separate from the wall plugs . The washer also causes this . I believe that the washer is on a dedicated circuit as it
appears to have been run directly underground to the outside box .
no breaker has tripped outside and no fuse has blown inside .
Whats going on here ?

I called the elect. company as advised . I got excellent response from them . The guy went to check and was back at the door with-in 1min. He said that it was obvious that the crimps were bad .
When I got home that afternoon they had replaced the wires from the pole . NO MORE DIMMING . YAAAAHHHOOOOO !!!!!. I hope to help someone here as you fine people have done for me . THANKS again, Now about the roof !

keith3267
Re: Dimming lights

good call The Semi-Retired Electric. This is also beneficial to the utility company because a bad connection like this drives up the load losses of the transformer. Since the transformer is before the meter, these losses are borne by the utility company and not the customer, at least not directly.

Re: Dimming lights
tooltrader wrote:

I called the elect. company as advised . I got excellent response from them . The guy went to check and was back at the door with-in 1min. He said that it was obvious that the crimps were bad .
When I got home that afternoon they had replaced the wires from the pole . NO MORE DIMMING . YAAAAHHHOOOOO !!!!!. I hope to help someone here as you fine people have done for me . THANKS again, Now about the roof !

Glad everything worked out!

Re: Dimming lights
keith3267 wrote:

good call The Semi-Retired Electric. This is also beneficial to the utility company because a bad connection like this drives up the load losses of the transformer. Since the transformer is before the meter, these losses are borne by the utility company and not the customer, at least not directly.

True, and all that arching also sends "dirty" power all over the neighborhood.

Pages

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.