So I was reading the article "Drying Out a Wet Basement" and have come to the conclusion that I may have all 3 issues (water sources).
Before I start to make some adjustments, I was wondering if my situation sounds strange?
My basement is very damp and musty all of the time (the 4 months I have been living there). I know we have a high water table in my area, but have not heard complaints from any other neighbors yet.
Also the previous owners painted the walls and floor of the basement with something (grey, looks like what you would paint your cement garage with for aesthetics) and it is now starting to chip, bubble and fade everywhere (Started 4 weeks after moving in).
What I have:
- The house has a French drain
- Submersible pump
- Dehumidifier (only works when the temp is above 65 degrees – kind of a bummer).
What I know needs to be addressed:
- The gutters down spouts are concentrating in too few areas.
- Some cracks in the basement floor
- The PVC pipe that exits the house from the submersible pump disappears into the ground about 2 feet from the exterior foundation wall and I have no idea where it goes.
Having said all of the above I am wondering if it makes sense to follow the article? In my amateur opinion the problem (stated above) outweighs the proposed solution (“what I know needs to be addressed”).
Any help would be great!!