Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>Countertop Too Thick for Faucet Fixture
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Countertop Too Thick for Faucet Fixture

We purchased a Moen kitchen faucet, Model #87876ORB from Lowe's. We have a quartz countertop and an undermount, stainless-steel sink.

Our plumber informs us that the "shinks" on this unit are about 1/4" too short for him to install in our sink. For clarification, the "shinks" are the two threaded pieces that run directly underneath the faucets that the water supply lines get connected to.

Is there any work-around for this type of scenario? In other words, is there an adapter that can be used, or are we just out of luck?

If we need to find a new faucet, how do we know whether or not the "shinks" are long enough? Is there a standard or recommended "shink" size for faucets that will be installed into a kithen with Quartz countertops and an undermount, stainless steel sink?

I appreciate any advice you can provide. Our plumber didn't give any options.

Re: Countertop Too Thick for Faucet Fixture

I don't know for certain, but there may be a male - female threaded union that could be used to extend the threaded stem that is on the faucet to get the length you need. You should call Moen to find out if they have such an item from the factory. It may be possible to use commonly available fittings if they don't have a "factory" fitting although I would suspect your plumber would have thought to suggest this.

Re: Countertop Too Thick for Faucet Fixture

I bet they already drilled the holes out for that faucet too didn't they. Man that sucks. Yeah call Moen or go back to the Blue Box and talk to the show floor people and see if there is a "Thick mount" extension kit for your faucet.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.