Home>Discussions>INSULATION & HVAC>Converting a non-vented Range Hood to Vented
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Converting a non-vented Range Hood to Vented

We have a 36" gas cooktop with a 36" GE range hood. The hood does a horrible job of clearing smoke and grease. We'd like to have someone put in the duct work to exhaust outside. Our range sits against an interior wall, but is only about 3 or 4 feet from an exterior wall. This shouldn't be that big of a project for the right contractor, right? This is a new construction, colonial home less than 2-years old. Who would we call? An HVAC guy, a kitchen guy, an electrician, a general contractor or what? Anything else we need to know? Thanks!

Re: Converting a non-vented Range Hood to Vented

From your description of a colonial house I'll assume you have a second floor above the kitchen. In that case the best scenario would be that there is soffit over the cabinets to run the ductwork. If you don't want to do this yourself, I would start with a kitchen renovation business, even though they will probably sub out the different parts, they will have good contacts for doing the tin work, exterior work and then the drywall finishing/painting.

Re: Converting a non-vented Range Hood to Vented
Gizmo wrote:

Whats above the ceiling, is it attic or 2nd floor. If attic then the job will be pretty easy as long as theres not a roof truss sitting directly over the area where the exaust is located. Is there a soffit over the cabinets ?
The job wont be easy if you need to get to the exterior wall.

Above is the second floor. While the hood range & range are against an interior wall, on the other side of the wall is a closet, and on the other side of the closet is a laundry room which sits against an exterior wall. In my mind, should be pretty simple, but perhaps I'm missing something.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.