Home>Discussions>DOORS & WINDOWS>convert back to mortise locks
1 post / 0 new
convert back to mortise locks

New guy here, 1901(more or less) Victorian. I have some pretty unique 5 panel doors with two vertical panels on top, two vertical on bottom and a horizontal panel in the middle as opposed to 5 horizontal panels.

Anyway, I like my doors, even if they do not all match due to that silly thing where they decided to add a bathroom back in the 20s.

Problem is, they were hung with mortised locksets and now all but one are not. They filled in the mortised hole and installed regular old cheap brass round handled knobs. even more frustrating is that I have one door left with a mortised lockset, but it does not match teh originals (oval versus rectangular).

Any thoughts on converting back, or at least getting the look back? I at least want the appearance of doorknobs with a backplates.

I will probably take some time and strip all of the old paint and iron out the dents in the doors, is it worth the effort to try to refill the hole drilled for the new knobs, or am I risking compromising the integrity of the doors?

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.