Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Commercial range installation in residence
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lady Ianna
Commercial range installation in residence

Hi -

I was hoping for some advice. I'm considering a commercial range for my kitchen and need some information on the electrical.

(yes I know, call an electrician.) As far as general information though..

I'm looking at a Vulcan commercial range that has a 3 phase 240V hookup. Is this the same as a 240V dryer hookup? I think I don't quite understand the 3 phase aspect. I have learned that it is 3 "hot" wires that (somehow) combine to create the right voltage. What I don't understand is do I need a special main box, or will the 100amp one that I had put in a few years ago be sufficient. We currently have 240V for the dryer and our current range. The Vulcan stove however has 2 ovens, 6 burners, and a griddle, which is a lot more than the current stove. I had considered a gas range, but pricing is considerably different, and I can get a good deal on this electric used one. (Besides that I would have to convert NG to LPG if I went with gas.)

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful. I will most likely find an electrician to install but, would like to have an idea of the process before I get into it.


Lady Ianna

Re: Commercial range installation in residence

Short answer. No, you can not use a 3-phase hook up with your present 100 amp service. Mostly likely you have what is called a Triplex service feeding your needs.
Others on this board will provide more exact answers to the differences between the two types mentioned.
Triplex is a service for homes and small business. 3-phase is a commercial application.
I would like to see what that might cost to change over. If it were even possible. :eek:

Re: Commercial range installation in residence

I've used Vulcan gas stoves in a commercial application & there is a clearance required to combustibles. I'm remembering 8", but can't be sure. The electric may be different, but it's something to check.

Lady Ianna
Re: Commercial range installation in residence

I'm not worried about clearances. I already have a woodstove in the spot where I intend on putting it. Plenty of room.

I just really need to get the electrical sorted out. It looks like I may have to go with the gas version, which is much more expensive. :(

Re: Commercial range installation in residence

Basically, in short, what is in the majority of homes is a single phase, 240V, three wire (two hot conductors and a shared neutral/ground conductor) or four wire (two hot conductors, a neutral conductor, and a separate ground conductor) system.

Three phase systems add an extra hot conductor for a total of four or five wire systems. These systems also typically run at either 208 or 480 volts, so using an appliance that specifically needs 240 volts three phase will probably require a transformer...though I would imagine the stove can also run on 208 volts.

Three phase wiring is something that is extremely, extremely rare in a residential setting...it is common in commercial and industrial applications. It would require a total re-wire of your main electrical feed, a new service panel, conversions of your current 240 volt appliances to run on 208 volts, and a lot of permitting and inspections.

Unfortunately, for a residential application, the gas unit will be much less problematic...I very seriously doubt the money you would save on the electric version of this stove would pay for the extensive electrical upgrades you would have to have.

I have fairly limited experience on 3-phase systems, so ultimately, you are going to need to consult with an electrician on this matter.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.