Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>Closet flange replacement
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Closet flange replacement

I have a cast iron closet flange that is in bad shape. I was going to replace it (rather than use a spanner flange) with another cast iron one. Thought about using PVC but I would be concerned about it causing flow restrictions. I heard somewhere that they use a "packing" to seal the flange to the soil pipe. What is this packing and is this correct..?

Re: Closet flange replacement

Yup, used to sell that stuff. It's called Oakum.

Re: Closet flange replacement

Just the left side (of the bend) is broken. Even though it's accessible from the top and bottom I'm starting to think just to try a repair kit. Replacing it would be ideal, but not having any experience working with cast iron pipes, plus the "feedback" :eek: I'll get from the wife when I tell her we have to call a plumber. I'll stick to the spanner flange kit.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.