Home>Discussions>INSULATION & HVAC>Cleaances for old Preway 2608A Zero Clearance Fireplace
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
RobL
Cleaances for old Preway 2608A Zero Clearance Fireplace
RobL

Hello -

I am looking for any manuals or information related to outside clearances needed when tiling the front of an old Preway 2608A Zero Clearance Steel Fireplace. Apparently the manufacturer went out of business in the late 1980s, so their manuals aren't readily available. Or, are there any standard clearance guides related to tiling clearances around zero clearance fireplaces?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

A. Spruce
Re: Cleaances for old Preway 2608A Zero Clearance Fireplace
A. Spruce

It shouldn't be difficult to figure out, most inserts have some sort of face plate to them, you either tile under the leading edge of the face plate or right up to the side of it, depending on how the unit is installed into the firebox opening.

Google images should give you some clues, as will researching other brands that are similarly featured as yours.

Benjamin
Benjamin
A. Spruce wrote:

It shouldn't be difficult to figure out, most inserts have some sort of face plate to them, you either tile under the leading edge of the face plate or right up to the side of it, depending on how the unit is installed into the firebox opening.

Google images should give you some clues, as will researching other brands that are similarly featured as yours.

It is not an insert it is a zero clearance fireplace they are totally different.

Most zc fireplaces need 1/2" of clearance to combustibles. But tile is not combustible so you can tile right up to it or over the edge as long as you dont restrict the vents at all. But before tiling it in i would have it inspected by a pro. The projected life span of that type of unit is 20 years so it may be worn out.

Jack
Jack

One caution, do not use LATEX MODIFIED GROUT.

Jack

Mastercarpentry
Mastercarpentry

There are many reasons a company goes out of business which may not indicate quality or design issues, but that is a very common cause for firms to close their doors. Knowing this, I'd do a lot of research before making the installation more permanent and I'd have a pro take a look as well, or you may end up tearing out your beautiful new tile a year from now. It might be better to start with a 'cleaner slate' and a new ZC FP.

Phil

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.