4 posts / 0 new
Last post
claw-foot drain

I have a claw-foot tub with the conventional drain which has a straight brass drain pipe from the drain, through a t-connector(from the overflow) straight into the floor. Constraints in our house do not allow us to go straight into the floor...we must locate the tub about 7 inches away from the drain in the floor. How do I find a brass pipe (or even copper, for that matter)with 90 degree bends that will allow this to be done. I can raise the tub 3" off the floor to create more space for elbows, etc., but I have had no success in finding drain pipes in the proper dimensions. I tried Van Dyke's restorers and they cannot help...seems they carry only mass-produced product in their catalog and have no other out-of-the-ordinary supplies. Can anyone come up with a plan?? Thanks!

Manual Labor
Re: claw-foot drain

check the post entitled "galvanized pipe to pvc" to view a picture by kent on using fernco fittings and plastic pvc pipe to make this repair. it will be much easier at a reasonable cost to repair this way.

sometimes 1 1/2" copper can be soldered with an elbow, but the pipe coatings have to be removed so the solder will take.

Re: claw-foot drain

I think you're going to have to expose the rest of your drain line and then figure out how to connect to it. What type of floor do you have?

Re: claw-foot drain

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.