Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Choosing a whole house surge supressor
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Choosing a whole house surge supressor

Any input on what to look for in the device? Brands to run way from?

I plan to install protection for incoming telco and cable lines as well soon, just before I cut the cord.

I have an Eaton BR panel mounted outdoors if that impacts the decision.

Re: Choosing a whole house surge supressor

Function, if you have two spare, adjacent, 1" spaces in your Cutler-Hammer in your BR panel, you can just plug in a "whole house" Type BRSURGECSA 120/240 Vac and hook up the ground wire. It has LED's which will signal need for replacement, if it becomes damaged.

It is a TYPE 2 SPD and fully complies with the latest UL 1449 3rd Edition requirements.

Be sure to turn off the main breaker before opening the main panel and be aware power will still be present at that breaker.

Even with this SPD you should still purchase point of use surge protectors for the phone and TV cables.

Long ago, I installed a mast,antenna and lightning arrestor for a customer's brand new color TV. Less than a week later he called and said his TV was out. Turns out lightning hit the antenna and destroyed the $2 arrestor, but saved the TV!

Re: Choosing a whole house surge supressor

Thanks. That one is pretty reasonably priced to boot. Now I just need to make sure I have enough spaces in the box.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.