1 post / 0 new
Chimney question

Hi, I live in house circa 1840. It is a timber frame house with a brick veneer. I suppose you would call it a cape style. I am searching for the proper name for the type of chimneys it has. The chimneys are quite short and enter the rooms on the second floor but are built atop wooden shelves, they come down through the roof and ceiling. In the past a stove pipe would have been connected to the chimney. They are currently drywalled over but I would like to reveal them at some point. Anyway, I wonder if anyone knows the proper name for them and during what years they were popular in home building in North America. Thanks!

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.