Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch
11 posts / 0 new
Last post
JLMCDANIEL
Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch

I wouldn't do it. If you forget that you turned it on you could burn down the house.

Jack

MtMan54
Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch

Hi, You need to keep the thermostat but you can add a switch or lower the temp when it is not needed. Is this heater on a separate circuit? Thanks

Lynne
Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch

It's always on the lowest setting. I don't know if it's on a separate circuit but I think not.

Looks like replacement is the way to go; maybe infrared instead of electric coils.
Thanks.

Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch
queen60 wrote:

It's always on the lowest setting. I don't know if it's on a separate circuit but I think not.

Looks like replacement is the way to go; maybe infrared instead of electric coils.
Thanks.

You say the heater thermostat is on it's lowest setting? Can't you just set it higher?

ed21
Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch

All thermostats I've seen have an off switch built into them. What happens in the summer when the A/C is on?
You should be able to replace the thermostat with a new one.

Condoman
Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch

We use 60 minute spring wound timers on our heaters.

HoustonRemodeler
Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch

Why not add a timer switch rated for such application?

We use them for ceiling vent fans in baths all the time as the new fans are so quiet.

Lynne
Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch
HoustonRemodeler wrote:

Why not add a timer switch rated for such application?

We use them for ceiling vent fans in baths all the time as the new fans are so quiet.

That's what I wanted to do, but the more I think about it and from comments here, it doesn't sound like a good idea now.

The heater is an electric coil with an automatic fan. Turn up the thermostat the coil heats and the fan comes on. The bathroom has a separate ventilation fan controlled by a wall switch.

The heater is mounted near the door so you have to heat the whole room to get extra heat when getting out of the shower.

I think I'll replace it with an infrared unit mounted in front of the shower and controlled by a timer. Maybe a combination unit.

Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch
queen60 wrote:

That's what I wanted to do, but the more I think about it and from comments here, it doesn't sound like a good idea now.

The heater is an electric coil with an automatic fan. Turn up the thermostat the coil heats and the fan comes on. The bathroom has a separate ventilation fan controlled by a wall switch.

The heater is mounted near the door so you have to heat the whole room to get extra heat when getting out of the shower.

I think I'll replace it with an infrared unit mounted in front of the shower and controlled by a timer. Maybe a combination unit.

The IR unit sounds like a great idea. You will get radiant heat directed where it will do the most good. And the room will stay relatively cool. :)

Fencepost
Re: Change bathroom heater from thermostat to on/off switch

There should be no problem using a timer. I did that in my own bathroom, and it works great.

You'll probably want to use a 30 minute spring-wound timer -- electronic timers usually aren't rated to handle the load of a heater and may not work correctly on a 240V circuit. The spring-wound timer shouldn't be a problem.

If your exhaust fan isn't on a timer, it should be. Then when you're done showering or stinking up the bathroom, you can let the fan run a while to clear the air without worrying that you'll forget it on.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.