Home>Discussions>INSULATION & HVAC>cast iron radient heaters......Help
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
cast iron radient heaters......Help

bought this house about a year ago that has a water radient heating system with the old cast iron radient heaters.
house was built in 1929. Nine months ago I decided to refinish the wood floors ion the house so I drained the system.when I refilled the system I realized that all of the air release screws were rusted solid and stripped. Someone told me I could just drill the center of the screw and use a easy out to get the screws out so I could replace them.
So I tried this even trying to use a blow torch to heat up the cast iron to loosen the screw to the event that the easy out broke off inside the hole I drilled in the screw trying to get it out. The easy out is a harder metal so I havent been able to drill threw the easy out and I'm worried about messing up the threads in the cast iron if I drill to much around the edges.
This has happened to both heaters I have tried to work on.
Is there a different way to replace the air release screws??
Did I just destory both heaters??

Re: cast iron radient heaters......Help

You should be able to save the rads.

They have a TAP AND DIE toolset that is used to drill out broken vents & then re-thread the 1/8" hole so it can take a new vent.

If the old material can't be gotten out, a larger, 1/4" hole is drilled, then a 1/4" X 1/8" reducer bushing is installed, then the standard 1/8" vent is installed.

Tap & Die sets are sold at Harbor Freight, Lowe's, and Home Depot, but you may want to call in a pro who has done it all before.

If you buy the Tap & Die at a heating supply parts house the counterman will probably show you how to use the tool, if you want to try it yourself.

The repaired rad should be flushed with water (or the metal particles vacuumed out) to prevent the particles from chewing up the impeller of the boiler circulator pump.

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.