Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Can you use 14/3 for 2 Circuits?
15 posts / 0 new
Last post
JLMCDANIEL
Re: Can you use 14/3 for 2 Circuits?

NEC requires labeling at the panel on MWBC breakers [NEC 210.5(C)], could be the single breakers with the clip meets that requirement.
Jack

MMeehan

Well ran into a Master Electrician on a job site someone I had not seen in 5 years and asked him and here in Michigan you can not use neutrals or grounds from one / 14/3 to feed a second circuit. Guess someone got injured and they don't allow this at least here in Michigan.Last time I saw him he was a Journeyman. Never hurts to ask he being licensed to work here in Michigan.

But thanks all the same I will have to help now repull this and get it done for for the friend... Just a little extra $$ but hope I can find the time...

Appreciate the replies but never the same from state to state...

MMeehan

daviddwilson
MMeehan wrote:

Thanks these circuits are for general shop lighting and a couple of plugs for plug in transformers. He just wanted to be sure they were okay.

The AFCI and the GFCI are for places like bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms. But I will mention it in case he has to change something around it would be best to run a 14/2 from the E panel to these kind of locations...

Appreciate the info,

MMeehan

You do not use a double poll breaker, you use two single pole breakers with a mechanical clip so if one is turned off the other is also. That prevents some one from getting electrocuted if they are working on only one circuit. The breakers are normally installed one above the other so they are each on a different leg. If you check voltage between black or red to neutral you get 120 volts if you check voltage between red and black you would read 240 volts. The mechanical clip makes you turn both breakers off when servicing so you can't get feed back from the other circuit. Hope that clears it up a little.

canuk
daviddwilson wrote:

You do not use a double poll breaker, you use two single pole breakers with a mechanical clip so if one is turned off the other is also. That prevents some one from getting electrocuted if they are working on only one circuit. The breakers are normally installed one above the other so they are each on a different leg. If you check voltage between black or red to neutral you get 120 volts if you check voltage between red and black you would read 240 volts. The mechanical clip makes you turn both breakers off when servicing so you can't get feed back from the other circuit. Hope that clears it up a little.

Hmmm --- so how does that differ from double pole common trip breakers ?

Pages

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.