5 posts / 0 new
Last post
oldwoodie
Brunt wires

What would cause enough heat to melt wire connectors inside a ceiling light? The wires were chared and the insulation was crumbling. The light still worked, no breaker ever tripped. Bulbs were replaced with low power for the last four years. House was built in 1988 so it should have 90 C wiring. I am leary about replacing the light fixture without knowing why this happened. Any ideas?

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Brunt wires

Most likely it had lamps with to high a wattage installed that overheated the fixture. Changing to lower wattage lamps for the last 4 years would not repair the damage.
Jack

oldwoodie
Re: Brunt wires

Thanks for confirming what I thought might have happened. Will change fixture and leave expose to watch for heat buildup.

sparky1
Re: Brunt wires

loose wire connections will also cause this. it creates resistance, which in turn creates heat. so make sure you tighten the wire nuts securely and then tug on the connection to make sure there good

canuk
Re: Brunt wires
sparky1 wrote:

loose wire connections will also cause this. it creates resistance, which in turn creates heat. so make sure you tighten the wire nuts securely and then tug on the connection to make sure there good

Yep , this would also do it.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.