Home>Discussions>HEALTH & SAFETY>Black spots on antique buffet
1 post / 0 new
Rachel
Black spots on antique buffet
Rachel

I was just recently given an old antique Buffet by a neighbor. They have been keeping it in their shed and we live in a very humid climate by the coast of Virginia. Prior to going to get the piece of furniture I asked him to make sure it didn't have any mold and he assured me that it didn't. Once I got it into my house it was night time so I couldn't see very well and I started wiping off the layers of dust on the furniture and quickly notice a mold smell when I opened the cabinet doors. Upon removing the drawers from the top I known as black Speckles all over the wood and it definitely smells like what I would describe as a moldy smell. I do not know how to tell the difference between the mold and mildew so I'm not sure which one of the two it is. My question is should I be deeply concerned and get this piece of furniture out of my house immediately or can it be salvaged. Also, any cleaning I would do it have to be done indoors because I do not have any sort of shed or garage and I live in a lifted house. I know in previous articles that I've read that people say that you need to do all cleaning Outdoors because of mold spores but that's just not an option for me. So again I'm just wondering if it's worth tackling or if I should just dump furniture?

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.