Home>Discussions>BATHROOMS>Bathroom sink faucet replacements for 1950's sink
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bathroom sink faucet replacements for 1950's sink

My house was built in 1950. The plumber told me to buy a new faucet assembly for the 1950 Crane built-in bathroom sink, but it turned out that the new fittings are a larger size than the old sink was designed for. Now I have a sink that doesn't work at all. The undermount sink surround is ceramic tile, with a complete built-in vanity tiled-top adjacent, which the plumber suggested pulling out, all for a new faucet. We don't want to do this, but to preserve the 1950's tiled bathroom. Suggestions?

Re: Bathroom sink faucet replacements for 1950's sink

I would begin by doing a search on Ebay for a replacement faucet. With as many folks tearing out those old 1950's bathrooms you may be surprised as to the availability of what you need at probably a reasonable price. If nothing surfaces on Ebay you can search the internet for plumbing salvage sites that specialize in selling older used fixtures.
Last but not least there are a world of online faucet companies many of which offer exceptional customer service in assisting their customers in finding hard to replace faucets. Get your measurements as to hole size and spand and do some google research. If you want a specific reference for one of these contact me direct and I would be glad to help. I avoid trying to be commercial in my postings unless specifically asked.
I hope all of this helps.

Re: Bathroom sink faucet replacements for 1950's sink

I recently heard that Crane has gone out of business. Don't know if that's true or not. Unfortunately, the sinks they are used in are often designed to accept only that particular Crane faucet. Most modern faucets and sinks are based on a standard, 4" or 8" spread (the distance between the centers of the handles).

Crane faucets are some of the earliest to use the replaceable cartridge concept. If the faucet still looks good, you should be able to pull out the old cartridges and replace them, or at least replace the washers to rebuild the cartridge. I've found the replacement cartridges at my local plumbing supply store, and it seems like I might've seen them at Home Depot, too.

You might need a handle puller and some penetrating oil to remove the handle; quite often they will be corroded and bind onto the stem.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.