Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Living Areas & Workspaces>Basement wall spalling - What kind of wall is it?
1 post / 0 new
Basement wall spalling - What kind of wall is it?

I just purchased a home built around 1908. The basement wall construction appears to be stone with a dirt-like filler material with a coat of plaster on top. The home inspector had a name for this type of construction but I can't recall it. In some areas, the plaster cover is failing and the dirt-like material is just spilling out. I will try to post some photos of this tonight. There is some moisture coming through some areas of the wall that I expect to be corrected through a separate yard re-grading project that I am working on.

I have had a hard time getting advice on how to fix this wall so far because I don't know what this type of wall is called. I have seen this type of wall in other old homes too so I know I am not the first to want to correct this.

I'd like to clean up the wall by removing all of the old finish material and applying grout. Any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.