7 posts / 0 new
Last post
burked1234
Basement Floor Suggestions

looking for suggestions on leveling the basement floor in my laundry room. it's a thin concrete, and i do have a floor drain. The drain is not used actively, but i'm not looking to permanently cover it incase of a burst pipe, etc. i need to level about 5" up and down over about 500 sq ft.

i don't have direct access, so pouring concrete is not really ideal, and head room is at a bit of a premium.
(access is through the kitchen)

has anyone used the dri core system to level this much?

canuk
Re: Basement Floor Suggestions
burked1234 wrote:

looking for suggestions on leveling the basement floor in my laundry room. it's a thin concrete, and i do have a floor drain. The drain is not used actively, but i'm not looking to permanently cover it incase of a burst pipe, etc. i need to level about 5" up and down over about 500 sq ft.

i don't have direct access, so pouring concrete is not really ideal, and head room is at a bit of a premium.
(access is through the kitchen)

Wow -- 5 inches between high and low spots ?!?!?
You won't be able to use a self levling concrete to fill in with since they only allow a maximum thickness of 5/8 - 1 inch -- so that's out.

Picking the highest point --- using sleepers shimmed at the low spots -- lay a sub-floor would work --- but that raises the entire floor to the highest point.

Either bust up the floor and pour new or pour over top with concrete.

Quote:

has anyone used the dri core system to level this much?

Not a chance with that much variance --- I think they only allow 1/4 inch variance.

burked1234
Re: Basement Floor Suggestions

Great, thanks! Do i need to use any type of material between the shims and the concrete (like the stuff used for Sill plates, etc).

Yeah, i'm kinda bummed that it will raise the floor, but i don;t think i have much choice given the layout.

canuk
Re: Basement Floor Suggestions
Quote:

Do i need to use any type of material between the shims and the concrete (like the stuff used for Sill plates, etc).

Yes , use either plastic sheathing or sill seal fam gasket between the concrete and the lumber being used is not presssure treated. Otherwise you run a risk of moisture from the concrete being wicked up into untreated lumber causing mildew , mould , or rot.

burked1234
Re: Basement Floor Suggestions

cool. one more, if i use 2x6 sleepers on the flat, how far apart can the shimming be underneath (i plan on having them 16" on center)
this will get sheeted with probably 3/4" tongue and groove

canuk
Re: Basement Floor Suggestions

You should be fine with 2x4's intead of the added expense of 2x6's --- the choice is yours.
Considering the sleepers will be on the flat they won't be as rigid as they would be on edge --- regardless if they are 2x4 or 2x6. Ideally you would want the underside of the sleepers fully supported -- however -- spacing of 6-12 inches max. should suffice. Actually having some voids would even help allowing air circulation to dry any moisture accumulation that might accumulate under the subfloor from condensation or water leak.

Tip --- for those areas that need a large build up for shimming --- screw down a 2x4 ( or 2x6 if you decide to go that route ) to the concrete with Tapcons first --- then fasten additional shims and the sleepers to those with wood screws.

Good luck with the project:)

burked1234
Re: Basement Floor Suggestions

Cool, thanks. you've been very helpful!

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.