Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Living Areas & Workspaces>Basement Floor in 1890 New England House
1 post / 0 new
Basement Floor in 1890 New England House

I have an old house (from 1893) and want to redo the basement floor. It is a classic New England 3 family with a brick on stone foundation. The floor is concrete (and use that word loosely) on dirt. The concrete wicks moisture and is always damp. I want to tear it up and put in a new floor. I know how to do the floor. I will dig down 10-12 inches put in an internal perimeter drain (geotextile, 3/4, crushed stone, 4" perf drain pipe connected to a sump ) . The floor itself will be: first 4" of crushed stone, then 2" rigid insulation, then 10 mil poly with 4" of steel mesh reinforced concrete poured on top - expansion joints around all perimeter and columns.

The big question...because I'm going so deep I want to first put in a concrete curb around the internal perimeter so the foundation will not push in. I figured 12" wide by 16" deep. I will do this in 6 foot increments with rebar protruding from each section to tie it into the next section. This way I can dig down for the drain and floor as noted above without worry of the foundation caving in or getting undermined by water.

Should I put crushed stone under this curb? I'm torn..I don't want to go any deeper than I need to near the foundation, but the soil is clay and I'm afraid that if I just pour concrete on it it will get pushed up by hydrostatic pressure. I also thought having some stone under there would permit any water pushing in to pass more directly to the perimeter drain and into the sump.

Any thoughts?

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.