I'm remodeling a cottage that was built in the 40's or 60's (can't remember which). I removed a space heater but the pipe is still in the wall. The owner is not sure if there is asbestos in it or not. The contractor that removed the pipe from the roof said it was cement, the neighbor said it was asbestos. The pipe runs straight up to the roof and straight down to a crawl space and then has a piece sticking out the wall where I removed the stove. How do I know if that is asbestos or not? Can I do the pipe removal safely myself?