Home>Discussions>ELECTRICAL & LIGHTING>Adding a 220v line for a washer dryer
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
romano
Adding a 220v line for a washer dryer

I'm having a 220 line installed for a washer and electric dryer. Both the washer and dryer require 220v/20amps. The dryer allows the washer to be daisy chained to it so it only requires one outlet. My electrician is going to install a single 220v/20a line with 12 gauge wire, but will that be enough of if both units are running?

JLMCDANIEL
Re: Adding a 220v line for a washer dryer

I have not run into a setup like this, and I haven't seen the actual requirements, but if they each require a 20 amp circuit then one 220/20amp 12 gage circuit would not be sufficient.
Jack

KKelly

If it's a stacked unit, that sounds fine. If I had to ask whether my electrician knew what he was doing I'd be fairly sure he didn't.

And, I cannot honestly give you an answer to your question without seeing the manufacturer's panel of your appliance. And that should be the answer of anyone who answers this question.

Ernie_Fergler
KKelly wrote:

If it's a stacked unit, that sounds fine. If I had to ask whether my electrician knew what he was doing I'd be fairly sure he didn't.

And, I cannot honestly give you an answer to your question without seeing the manufacturer's panel of your appliance. And that should be the answer of anyone who answers this question.

I agree the manufacturers nameplate will tell all. Plus factoring in voltage drop with the length of the cable run as well.

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.