Home>Discussions>INTERIORS>Living Areas & Workspaces>70+ year old home has foundation issues
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
70+ year old home has foundation issues

We recently purchased a old victorian style home to restore. The biggest problem confronting us is to level the home and restore the foundation to a more solid footing. We live in New Mexico in the high desert and our dirt is very sandy and is prone to wash out during the few times we get torrential rainstorms. The home has a stone outer foundation that has fallen in by the steps due to water washing out the dirt from the foundation. The majority of the house is supported by wooden beams set on flagstone bases. There is no termite damage to the beams, and they appear to be solid except where the water has washed out the outer foundation walls. We wish to do the work outselves, time is not an issue, but having never tackled something like this in the past, we are a bit at a losss on how to procede. Has anyone had any experience with this type of problem? There is a root cellar by the washed out foundation, so access is not an issue. Anyone have any suggestions??

Timothy Miller
Re: 70+ year old home has foundation issues

Photos would help. When you say washed out foundation sounds like more then a do it yourself problem. Consider contacting a soils enginer for direction on how to restabilize the home. A concrete mud jacker may be the way to go. They pump concrete under and it stabolizes the soil and lifts the foundation back up. Consider Pueblo Pressure Grouting in Pueblo Colorado they might go as far as where you are located or refer you to someone closer...

Re: 70+ year old home has foundation issues

This is a pier and beam foundation. The outer surrounding wall is made of stone, and covered with plaster. There is only one area it is washing out due to a leak around a outside concrete stairway to the door.
Keep in mind that this house was built in 1936.

I will attach some photos to give everyone an idea of what I am talking about.

Re: 70+ year old home has foundation issues

From the pictures, you should contact a structural engineer and a good general contractor. If you've never tackled anything like this before you better leave it to the professionals.

Calcats ;)

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.