Home>Discussions>PLUMBING>4" open ended pipe in basement walls
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
4" open ended pipe in basement walls

I have a 4" pipe extending out of my basement walls that causes 3-4" of water to accumulate in the basement.

When it rains or snows more water accumulates in basement. This is on both ends of the basement. A trench is dug but with little help water rises above it.

I have had Building Code Enforcements look at it 3x's and what they say is that because the part of the pipe is on my property I am responsible, they are only responsible for the part that is not on my property. RIDICULOUS!!! A constant battle with them.

I had 4 different plumbing contractors look at it, what they suggest to do I cannot afford. I thought about getting rainbarrels and capturing the water to use but I just don't know how, I am so plumbing illiterate it is not funny.

Tried to post pics but kept getting an error message



Re: 4" open ended pipe in basement walls

Either cap it or add a sump pump to take the water out. I can't believe somebody hasn't said that yet. If you can't do it yourself it will cost money.

Re: 4" open ended pipe in basement walls

Capping was a thought until someone told me that the water has to go somewhere. It is not a good idea to have water just sitting.

Sump pump sounds like a good idea. I'll do research into that.

Thank You

Re: 4" open ended pipe in basement walls

It may be a drain pipe that has failed in some way so that instead of draining it lets water in.

Since you're getting flooded anyway, I don't see what harm there is in temporarily plugging it as a test. Cheap and easy.

C of L Tech
Re: 4" open ended pipe in basement walls

Is this a finished basement or a crawlspace? you mentioned a trench which suggests dirt. if possible, i would simply re-connect the two ends with a new piece of PVC pipe. You can purchase the materials at any hardware store, and it shouldn't cost more than $100. All you need ia a length of PVC (get the green colored as it is meant for sewage and is cheaper than pressue rated) to cover the distance. You may need elbows to adjust for any major differenct in elevation or alignment. Get some pipe seal or petrolium jelly to lubricate any joints. Lastly, you will need two rubber couplers to connect to the offending influent/effluent lines. these are typically referred to as Fernco couplings. I would bet you need two 4" clay to 4" PVC couplings. Voila! not your problem anymore. My guess, assuming you live in an older home, is that this is an old common or compound sewer service that has been abandoned. Either way, I hope this helps. :)

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.