11 posts / 0 new
Last post
dreisd
3/8 drywall and 1/4 paneling

My house was built in the 60's. The interior walls are unfinished 3/8 drywall with 1/4 paneling over top. I want to remove the paneling. What is the bset way to finsih the walls.
Can I tape and mud the 3/8 or do I need to strip this out and replace with 5/8 material. Thanks

HoustonRemodeler
Re: 3/8 drywall and 1/4 paneling

3/8" won't meet the fire code round these parts. You'd need 1/2". Check with your local inspector or building dept. be 100% sure it isn't 1/2" before going any further. 3/8" is pretty rare stuff.

When removing the drywall, this is a perfect time to change / upgrade any wiring, plumbing, and insulation. Also check for termites and other wee critters.

richibieltz

Is it possible to install 3/8" drywall over existing old plaster?

dj1
richibieltz wrote:

Is it possible to install 3/8" drywall over existing old plaster?

Yes. Keep in mind that the new drywall will follow what's behind it.
Also, you'll need to use longer screws driven into the studs.

HoustonRemodeler

Or use a good adhesive such as PL Premium

richibieltz

Thank you for reply; I will use PL Premium adhesive around the drywall edges and 3" screws.

johnjh2o
richibieltz wrote:

Thank you for reply; I will use PL Premium adhesive around the drywall edges and 3" screws.

Your looking for trouble with 3" screws. There is a good chance with screws that long you can hit wires and possibly water or waste lines in the wall.

John

dj1
johnjh2o wrote:

Your looking for trouble with 3" screws. There is a good chance with screws that long you can hit wires and possibly water or waste lines in the wall.

John

Absolutely, when I suggested you use "longer screws" I didn't mean 3"...Just yesterday I saw a situation where somebody installed shelves using long screw and one of them pierced through an ABS drain pipe.

If you add 3/8" to the original plaster, all you need to do is add that much to the regular drywall screws (reg size is 1-1/4").

HoustonRemodeler

2" course threaded screws and just a few dabs of PL which then are spread thin with a trowel

Gizmo

You can go over it with 3/8 or 1/4"........

Gizmo

You can go over it with 3/8 or 1/4" directly over the paneling

Sponsored Stories

TV Listings

Find TV listings for This Old House and Ask This Old House in your area.